Moving house is an extremely stressful and exhausting experience. However this does not mean that the actual execution of your move should be stressful. With prior preparation and the services of a professional and reliable removal company such as ourselves, moving house could be “just one of those things”.
The key to a successful removal is planning and preparation. Below is a basic checklist and some advice and helpful tips to get you started.
North Devon Removals have a fleet of specialist vehicles, experienced helpful staff, and one of the most flexible removal services and storage facilities available. We are able to cater for all your domestic needs for a successful move.
Whatever your house moving needs, we can provide from packing materials, long term storage, to a customized packaging service. You can choose an all-inclusive service and you have complete peace of mind that experienced professionals have taken care of your move allowing you to concentrate on more important things like your family. Each move is completely customized for catered to the customers needs.
Correct packing will ensure that your belongings are well protected for you move. See our page on Packing Tips for more information.
General Advice and useful tips Financials
- Make sure you are able to bank in you new location; you may have to change branch or bank.
- We appreciate that you may feel more comfortable moving jewellery and any important financial documents yourself. We can provide any boxes or containers if necessary.
Utilities and Services
- Give notice to utilities; telephone ,gas, water, electricity, broadband, digital TV, etc that you are moving. Its often advisable to do this by phone and in writing to have a record of when you notified them should any queries arise at a later date. When speaking to utilities on the phone, make a note of the time and date of the conversation, and note down the name of the person you speak to.
- Check for the best suppliers at your relocation.
- Contact the utilities for your new house and ensure you have the services you require.
- Consider other requirements at your new location, such as; GP, schools, vet, dentist, etc.
- Send out change of address cards to banks, employers, local authorities, credit and insurance companies, subscription, DVLA, DSS and of course friends and family.
- Cancel deliveries/services; milk, newspapers, gardeners, cleaners, ect.
- Inform any clubs or societies of the move.
- Pay the post office to reroute any mail for 3 – 6 months.
- If you have children apply in advance to the local LEA in you new area for school places.
- Basically declutter! Clear out your garage, basement, loft, cupboards, of any unwanted items. Tackle a room a week and it won’t seem quite so daunting!
- Recycle unwanted items, charity shops and organizations are grateful for donations, you could even attend a car boot sale! Price everything up the night and get there early to secure a good pitch – you could even cover the cost of your move!
- Use the contents of your fridge, freezer and larder before you move.
- Collect any belongings you have out on loan or repairs.
Day of move
- We can pack your belongings for you either the day before or on the day.
- Keep out until last; kettle, tea, coffee and biscuits, vacuum cleaner and your children’s box.
- If your removal involves an overnight stay on route, pack your night time essential and a clean set of clothes in your car.
- Keep a roll of parcel tape and a marker pen to hand, you will be surprised how many things need packing at the last minute!
Pets and Plants
- Consider in advance how you can transport and re-house any animals.
- Arrangements can be if you wish the company to move yours pets for you.
- Try involving your children so that the look forward to moving into the new house.
- Our staff always take extra care when children are around the removal process as moving heavy items can be dangerous, and vans are not safe places for children.
- A good idea would be to have the children’s box loaded last onto the van and first out again.